Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring is in the air!

Historically spring starts on the day of the vernal equinox, which usually occurs on the night of 20/21 March. Vernal equinox-day and night are each approximately 12 hours long, with the length of the day increasing as the season progresses. Spring is a beautiful period when the wintry sun begins to turn warm, needless to mention the flowers blooming in full splendor. Traditionally India observes spring as Vasantha ruthu in Sanskrit (spring season). As per lunar calendar New Year is celebrated during this time, many regions associate festivals with spring season. Spring is the loveliest season in India, when the entire ambiance blooms in beauty and trees sprout new shoots. Spring season is the time when nature regenerates and everything is fresh and new with colors and fragrance. Mango tree blossoms, shrill loud calls of the koyal (Indian singing bird) pierce the tranquility of the morning. One of the earliest tokens of spring arrival is when the Forsythia is mantled with numerous yellow flowers even before the leaves, they are also called golden bells plants.
Remembrances of spring flowers will take me to my childhood, and at present my visit to the local arboretum. Zinnia and Dahlia were so common in my neighborhood, while I was growing up. We friends used to pluck Zinnias from one of our neighbor's house and run before they could see, to remember such acts seems funny now. Zinnias are perfect for indoor. Dahlia blooms are available in an abundance of shapes, colors, and patterns. We all know Jasmine is favorite flower all over the globe especially in tropics; its uncommon scent attracts everyone. Marigolds are bright while orchids have uncommon structure. Shasta daisy is the one of the common flowers I offer to God. My best pick of the spring flowers are tulips and daffodils. Tulips have the 3d place among the most popular flowers all over the world. The plant comes in an abundance of colors, sizes, forms and height. Daffodils are loved flowers by almost any gardener. In my middle school poetry class, I learned the poem of Daffodils by William Wordsworth. The 24 lines poem is expression of the feelings of joy, “I wandered lonely as a cloud…………And dances with the daffodils.” Since then I was hooked on to the poem and the flowers. I did not get a chance to see and feel fresh flowers, then. Now, not only I have a chance to see them fresh; my husband presents me with daffodils in this season. Now you know, why I chose daffodils picture in my post:-).
I have mentioned only a few of the spring flowers; you enjoy the ones you have in your area. Though the spring season stays for a very short span of time, it brings newness to the surroundings, enjoy it while you can before summer is here.


“The splendor of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not rob the little violet of its scent or the daisy of its simple charm. If every tiny flower wanted to be a rose, spring would lose its loveliness.”
-Therese of Lisieux

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my post.