"Leap" in time is when the calendar is adjusted to make up for extra seconds accumulated over the preceding three years, due to the rotation of the earth. A leap year has 366 days and it occurs every four years
But did you know….
- In England and Wales, the date of the legal birthday for someone born on 29th February is 1st March
- February 30th was a real date in Sweden, a Scandinavian country.
- The town of Anthony in Texas, USA was known as ‘The Leap Year Capital of the World’.
- In Scotland, it was considered unlucky to be born on a Leap Day.
- Babies born on 29th February are known as Leaplings
- In Greece it is considered unlucky to marry on a Leap Day.
- Roman Emperor, Julius Caesar was said to be behind the origin of the Leap Year
Thirty days hath September,
April, June and November.
All the rest have thirty-one,
Excepting February alone,
And that has twenty-eight days clear
And twenty-nine in each leap year.