Thursday, March 17, 2011

Knitting-an art form

Last week while I was in the library, I saw a lady returning a few knitting books. That reminded me of renewing my hobby which was in attic for quite some time. To many it seems like a silly hobby, but it helps keep traditions alive connecting women with their pasts. We always hear knitting as an answer for any charity or to help at the war front. Knitters help in a way, what they could for the victory and for the comfort of soldiers, by making socks, scarves, caps or sweaters. Knitting is done with single or multiple colored yarns or wool with the help of two pointed steel, wood, plastic or ivory needles.
As a beginner, I was eager to learn, master and start knitting as a project. I started learning knitting in my high school days, pestering my mom to teach. Starting smaller projects was easier to complete fast. Sweaters took months to complete. My mom used to guide me, she learnt all by herself she did not have books to guide her or look and follow the patterns. She created her own and taught me. Of course, some were trial and error. The good part in knitting is if something goes wrong or not correct, just remove the needles from the yarn and pull the yarn like a string. At that moment we feel all the work has gone wasted, but it is nice way to recreate perfect ones. This taught me essential life skill, like patience. Looking at the completed ones either I used or have given to others the joy of creating is always with me.
It has been long time since I took up knitting. Now, I have something to work with!

"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit, either."
-Elizabeth Zimmerman

2 comments:

  1. Great article. Well commended article, but I have a silly questions. How do arthiritis women can continue? Are there special tools for them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Savitha, for your comments. Well I don't know if there are any special needles for such women.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my post.